Friday, February 9, 2007

Cyclone hits Dinwiddie County, Virginia in 1891

Tobacco Planters Suffer Severely Through the Effects of Hail
The Washington Post (1877-1954) - Washington, D.C.
Aug 18, 1891

Dinwiddie country, along the line of the Petersburg and Weldon Railroad, in the vicinty of Ream's Station, and also along the line of the Norfolk and Western Railroad, in the neighborhood of Church Road Station. was visited Saturday afternoon by a most violent wind and hail storm.

John Day ~ Early Dinwiddie, Virginian, a Methodist

John Day (1772-1854) was born in Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on April 15, 1772, about 6 miles south of Petersburg, Virginia, at Ream's Station on the old Halifax Road, where Frederick Bonner came to in the early 1700's. John father may have been John Day who resided in the Village of Pocahontas, near Petersburg, but that remains to be proven. The fact that he apprenticed as youth, properly occured with one for the early cabinetmakers of Petersburg or even perhaps with his father.On Feburary 18, 1796, he married Martha Todd, b. July 1, 1771, and known as Patsey. In 1798 he purchased 6 acres from Frederick Bonner, which he sold in 1803 to George Lloyd, who was then assembling a tract of 260 acres. See Deed Book 2 page 219 of the Dinwiddie County records, dated August 20, 1838.

The proceeds were doubtless used for their western Journay to Ohio. They joined the Frederick Bonner party (who freed his slave) for a tact of 2000 acres, an award for his Revolution War participation. This party totaled 15 members, with 3 blacks and 4 loads of equipment; they started April 1, 1803. Takening 52 days to make the journay.But they suffered a disaster enroute, at Flynn's Ford, on the Ohio River, Day's light wagon was swept into the dangerous current. His wife Patsey, his 7 year old daughter Susan, were in imminent danger, and the horse was paralyzed in fright. When John tried to right things, he was caught under the hotse with its gear. One of the black members of party named Burwell, saved the situation and their lives with great skill and bravery. They were persuaded to remain on Clough Creek permanently by the Gwaltneys, who had come their from Isle of Wight County, Virginia earlier and settled there. On Sept 12, 1803, john bought 53 acres from Josiah Gwaltney. See Deed Book E-2, p. 588.

During the year he worked on the interior of the Halley house, which was still standing in 1954, on Beechmont Ave near Elstun Road; the wood was black walnut with said to be with intricate details, by a 1860 owner of the home.

Is this the Day family from whom John Day, a freed black, also of Dinwiddie takes his name, and names his sons John and Thomas, b. 1801, Dinwiddie, Virginia, who later becomes Milton, North Carolina's most famous black cabinetmakers? Or could he have been one of the Bonner slaves?

James Stanton ~ A Dinwiddie Quaker

Minister to African Americans and Native Americans

James Stanton (1779-1852) born of Quaker parents in Dinwiddie Co., Virginia; James and Ann Stanton of Dinwiddie County, Virginia. He was brother to John, b. Oct. 7, 1777; William, b. Nov. 16, 1782; Fredersec, b. Feb 2, 1784; Mary, b. March 28, 1786 and Robert, b. July 17, 1788, whose births were recorded in the Blackwater Monthly Meeting records of Southside Virginia.

Stanton achieved considerable success in assisting the plight of Virginia's black population.He was well known as an abolitionist and member of The Society of Friends (Orthodox).In 1826 Stanton, at age 43, and his family moved to Warren County, Ohio and purchased a 114-acre farm in Clear Creek Township. The farm, known as Greenhill Farm, was a station on the Underground Railroad. The house is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.In 1828 Stanton he is a member of the society of Friends of Indiana Yearly Meeting, and that he attended at Mount Pleasant meeting house, with a committee on Indian concerns. “James was a ‘lay preacher’ in the Society of Friends and made many trips among the Indians of the Miami Valley and as far away as the Oklahoma Territory. He married Ann Jones and they had a daughter Catherine Ann who was six years old when she and her family came here from Virginia in 1826” (A Souvenir Booklet Telling The Story In Word And Picture And Dedicated To Those Who Have Lived And Labored In The Community During The Past One Hundred Fifty Years, . Springboro Sesquicentennial, 1815-1965, p. 19)

James Stanton, as well as being a conductor on the Underground Railroad in Ohio, was also on the Indian Concerns Committee of Indiana Yearly Meeting (Orthodox). He and his neice, Ann Stanton assisted Elizabeth Harvey and her family after her husband, Dr. Jesse Harvey of Harveysburg, Ohio who was the superintendent of the facility, died in 1849 at the Quaker Shawnee Mission in Kansas Territory (now Johnson Co., Kansas), see Ohio Yearly Meeting Minutes, 1849, p 18.

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Pocahontas Island (Petersburg) Research Project

Pocahontas Island Research Project

Please join us for a presentation of archaeology and research findings on the Pocahontas Island community, recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Saturday, February 10 2007
10 am to Noon

at the
Union Passenger Train Station
Western Room
103 River Street, Petersburg

with presentations by

Dr. Matthew Laird
James River Institute for Archaeology, Inc.

Ashley Neville &
John Salmon
Ashley Neville LLC

For more information, please contact the City of Petersburg, Department of Planning at (804) 733-2308.

Victoria A. Hauser, Preservation Planner
City of Petersburg, Dept of Planning & CD
City Hall, Room 304, 135 N. Union Street
Petersburg, VA 23803
phone- 804.733.2308; fax- 804.863.2772